12/11/2010

Turn off my Brain

I wish that I could just switch off my brain sometimes.  Like a light bulb, poof, it's off, no more thoughts to nag at me.  As good as my life is, I am still plagued with the thoughts of "something more."  Am I doing all I can with my life?  Am I following the right path?  Can I still make a difference in the lives of others? 

I love the theatre.  I love my job, but sometimes I wonder if it is where I am suppose to be.  I know I've been given these talents and passions for a reason.  I love the people.  I love the plays.  I love the human connections.  So why is it harder and harder for me to step up to the challenge?

I've let my "calling" supersede my physical and emotional well-being.  I have not made my physical or emotional health a priority.  I think my body is kicking at me and saying "attention must be paid."  These old habits are hard to break.  I didn't have the option of not working long days for a good while.  The work had to get done, but surely I could have found more time for myself.

It seems like I'm being pulled in so many directions and everyone has an opinion about what I should be doing or how I should be doing it.  I am always open to suggestions of how I can improve myself or the work and I take many of those ideas and thoughts to heart and appreciate them.  But sometimes I just grow weary.

I am weary.  I am unhealthy and exhausted.  Still I press on.  I just pray that I can accept myself and be willing to do whatever it takes to get back to that "healthy" place again.  And if I am suppose to be doing something else, I hope God uses a big neon sign or the Goodyear blimp to let me know...cause right now I'm not sure I'd notice anything less than that.  And maybe the lack of a sign means I'm doing what I'm suppose to be doing and that I just need a nap.

4 comments:

  1. "It seems like I'm being pulled in so many directions and everyone has an opinion about what I should be doing or how I should be doing it. I am always open to suggestions of how I can improve myself or the work and I take many of those ideas and thoughts to heart and appreciate them. But sometimes I just grow weary."

    Boy howdy, you must either be a mind reader or a kindred spirit.

    My bets are on kindred spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of us are so blessed by your passion AND hard work. And listen carefully because God often speaks to me in stage whispers rather than neon signs.

    Thanks for all you do!

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there, friend. We are embarking on a great time here at Theatre Tuscaloosa. Together, this team will move mountains...

    ReplyDelete